Summer Teen Lab
For ages 11-16
June 25 – July 13 | Mon - Fri, 9:00am – 5:30pm
2 to 3 years of training required
Scholarships and payment plans available
Develop your technique, hone your creativity, and explore new dance styles with our Summer Teen Lab. During this three-week intensive, dancers will be guided by ODC’s renowned faculty in a range of genres including contemporary, ballet, ethnic dance, hip hop, somatic study, improvisation, partnering, and choreography. The Summer Teen Lab culminates in an informal performance open to family and friends.
APPLY NOW | Applications must include a video.
We will continue reviewing applications until the intensive reaches capacity. The best way to secure your spot is to apply now, and upon acceptance, make a deposit of $200 toward tuition. Need-based scholarships available by separate application.
Please note: Special classes in the morning of July 4. Students are free in the afternoon on this day.
The creation of an audition dance video is an important learning experience and useful skill for a dancer. Videos may be taken with a camera phone — professional videos are not expected!
Please make sure that the full figure of the dancer can be seen clearly, and takes place in a space free of obstacles, such as a dance studio or gym. The video can be uploaded to free online services such as YouTube or Vimeo and shared with us through a link.
Basic Video Details
- Full name of applicant in video title
- Video duration: 5 to 8 minutes
- Applicants must wear clothing that shows alignment and form, such as tights, leotards, leggings, tank tops, etc.
- Verify the link is viewable before submitting.
Video Section 1:Introduction (less than 1 minute - please speak clearly and take your time!)
- Name and age of applicant
- Prompt: What do you hope to gain by participating in the Summer Teen Lab?
Video Section 2: Ballet Technique (approximately 3 minutes long)
- Ballet Barre (please change sides for each barre combination):
- Tendu from 5th position
- Rond de jambe/fondu combination
- 4 count développé
- 2 Grand battement en croix
- Center Work (16 to 32 counts of each of the following combinations):
- Pirouette combination
- Petit Allégro
- Grand Allégro
Video Section 3: Contemporary dance solo (approximately 1 minute)
- Please show the range of your training. The video can include movement phrases worked on in class, choreography that has been previously performed, or original material. Make sure to choose movement that makes you look your best and shows your sense of musicality. Please include floor work, jumps, turns, and expansive use of space.
- You may use any music.
Video Section 4: Other dance (approximately 1 minute)
- You may use this time to show any other dance styles, movements, and artistic skills of your choice.
For any questions, please contact us at (415) 549-8520 or firstname.lastname@example.org